9 Arthur Street
Young Film Programmers Forum
Join Our BEACON Young Film Programmers Forum.
Registration is now open for the 2nd round of our Young Film Programmers Forum.
Are you aged between 16-30 and passionate about cinema?
If so then our BEACON Young Film Programmers Forum is the place you to share your love for film and turn your passion into practice by curating, marketing and delivering your own film events.
Membership of the forum offers 16 – 30 year olds the opportunity to understand all aspects of film programming, marketing, exhibition and distribution by attending online workshops, preview screening events and industry training sessions. Widening and honing your tastes and acquiring the skills to collectively programme, market and deliver the 2nd BEACON Film Festival in August 2021 at kinokulture cinema.
We are launching our 2nd year of running the forum with a series of 10 ‘Build Your Own Film Night’ online workshops hosted by professional film programmers from Flatpack Film Festival.
The sessions will cover:
• Research and curation - advice on tracking down great content, developing themes, accessing archives, and combining film with other elements like performance, DJs and discussion.
• Licensing and copyright - the nitty-gritty on getting permission to show work.
• Venues and technical - Setting up a screen, projector, PA, and compiling all your content for a seamless show.
• PR & promotion - how to get people through the door and build your brand.
• Event production - getting yourself organised, planning a schedule, managing your budget, recruiting volunteers, setting up a space, health & safety, troubleshooting, etc.
Who will run the online workshops?
Flatpack staff Paul Stringer (filmmaker, photographer and film programmer) and Amy Smart (film programmer and partnerships manager) will co-lead the sessions and offer support outside of teaching hours via Facebook groups/online. Ruth Carter and Ian Garland from kinokulture cinema will mentor the group through the full programme.
We are looking for around 10 committed film fans to join the programme on Monday 1st March. Applicants must be available on Monday evenings (7pm – 8pm) to take part.
The BEACON Film Festival is an annual celebration of Independent British & World Cinema hosted by kinokulture cinema and the BEACON Young Film Programmers Forum.
Membership to the forum costs £10.00.
This project is supported by Film Hub Midlands and funds from the BFI Film Audience Network (FAN) – made possible by the National Lottery.